The ISTQB Foundation course covers the fundamentals of software testing, providing delegates with the necessary foundations for a career as a software testing professional.
This three-day intensive tutor-led course includes exam preparation, revision and the examination on the afternoon of the third day. It is fully-accredited by UKTB on behalf of ISTQB and has been rated SFIAplus level 3 by the BCS.
After successfully completing the course and passing the exam, delegates should be able to:
- Use a common language for efficient and effective communication with other testers and project stakeholders.
- Understand established testing concepts, the fundamental test process, test approaches, and principles to support test objectives.
- Design and prioritize tests by using established techniques.
- Analyze both functional and non-functional specifications (such as performance and usability) at all test levels for systems with low to medium levels of complexity.
- Execute tests according to agreed test plans, and analyze and report on the results of tests.
- Write clear and understandable incident reports.
- Effectively participate in reviews of small to medium-sized projects.
- Be familiar with different types of testing tools and their uses; and assist in the tool selection and implementation process.
Who is it for?
The ISTQB Certified Tester Foundation Level is principally aimed at anyone directly involved in software testing, who needs to demonstrate practical knowledge of the fundamental concepts, such as testers, test analysts, test engineers, test leads, test consultants, test managers, user acceptance testers and software developers.
It is also ideal for all those who have an interest in understanding the basic concepts of software testing, and so is additionally appropriate for project managers, quality managers, software development managers, business analysts, IT directors and management consultants.
- The objectives for the Certified Tester Foundation Level qualification are to:
- prepare candidates for the Foundation Certificate in Software Testing based on the ISTQB syllabus;
- improve understanding of software testing - its purpose and nature - and to raise awareness of issues and constraints around testing;
- learn standard terminology;
- introduce test techniques (static, white & black box) to delegates as well as providing practical experience of key techniques;
- provide a complete picture of the test processes from requirements review to system implementation; and
- provide delegates with an environment that supports their learning and impart them with the necessary confidence and means to support their future career as a test professional.
The entry requirements for the Certified Tester Foundation Level qualification are that the candidate should have a basic working knowledge of IT.
On arrival at the course, candidates should have read the provided syllabus in preparation for the course. The course is intensive and those delegates who have prepared achieve a higher exam success rate.
Syllabus – Key points
- Software Testing Fundamentals
- Testing throughout the software life cycle
- Static techniques
- Test design techniques
- Test management
- Tool support for testing