- Learn what to install and how to set up Appium ready for testing
- Understand the differences between Android, iOS and Windows testing
- Gain a full understanding of the Appium architecture and automation stacks
- Understand Element locator strategies and tools to aid in identification of elements
Technologies used in this course
- Eclipse, Android Studio, Appium Java, Windows Application Manager, JUnit
- Note: The practical exercises on this course are against Android devices & emulators and Windows apps (iOS is not provided in practicals)
- A basic understanding of writing Selenium WebDriver Scripts (we use Java bindings)
- Some programming experience would be advantageous - The course is based on using Appium with Java & JUnit.
Introduction to Appium
A background to Appium and its benefits. Overview of the Appium architecture. An overview of the technology stacks, terminology.
How to install the technology stack required, how to set up the tools ready to start testing. Configuring your Eclipse project ready to use Appium.
Testing Native Apps on Physical Android Devices
How to prepare the device for testing. Using ADB, how to specify the Desired Capabilities, Example Test Code.
Android Element Identification
Tools for identification, UI Automator Viewer, Appium Desktop Inspector, Locator strategies, best practices.
Coding Tap, Touch, Multi-Touch, Gestures, interacting with the Mobile buttons, other useful methods
Mobile Web Testing on Android
Supported Browsers, Setting up Desired Capabilities, Example Test Code, Locator Strategies
Hybrid App Testing on Android
Changing Context, Element Identification, Sample Code
Android Emulator Testing
Creating AVDs with Android Studio, setting desired Capabilities to connect to the Emulator, Example Test Code, Element Identification, Installing apps onto the Emulator.
Android Extra Topics
Installing & Uninstalling Apps programmatically, Appium & the Page Object Model, Connecting to devices wirelessly.
Testing iOS Apps - Simulators
Architecture, Overview of setting up simulated devices, desired capabilities, Example Code.
Testing iOS Apps - Physical Devices
Architecture, Overview of setting up physical devices, desired capabilities, Example Code.
Element Identification, iOS Page Object Model
Testing Windows 10 Applications
Architecture, configuring the PC, desired Capabilities for UWP & standard Windows Apps, Element identification using UISpy, & Inspect