ISTQB Advanced Test Analyst
About the Course
The ISTQB Advanced Test Analyst course extends the broad understanding of testing acquired at Foundation Level to enable the role of Test Analyst to be performed.
This four-day tutor-led course includes lectures, exercises and practical work, as well as exam preparation. The examination is held at an agreed later date, so allowing adequate time for revision. It is fully-accredited by UKTB on behalf of ISTQB and has been rated SFIAplus level 5 by the BCS.
After successfully completing the course and passing the exam, delegates should be able to:
- Perform the appropriate testing activities based on the software development lifecycle being used.
- Determine the proper prioritization of the testing activities based on the information provided by the risk analysis.
- Select and apply appropriate testing techniques to ensure that tests provide an adequate level of confidence, based on defined coverage criteria.
- Provide the appropriate level of documentation relevant to the testing activities.
- Determine the appropriate types of functional testing to be performed.
- Assume responsibility for the usability testing for a given project.
- Effectively participate in formal and informal reviews with stakeholders, applying knowledge of typical mistakes made in work products.
- Design and implement a defect classification scheme.
- Apply tools to support an efficient testing process.
Who is it for?
The ISTQB Certified Test Analyst Advanced Level is principally aimed at test practitioners who have achieved an advanced point in their careers in software testing and are expecting to be actively involved in the analysis, specification, design and execution aspects of software testing, and who want to increase their knowledge and skills beyond the levels covered by the Foundation and Intermediate qualifications. This includes people in roles such as testers, test analysts, test engineers, test consultants, test managers, user acceptance testers and software developers. This Advanced Level qualification is also appropriate for anyone who wants a deeper understanding of software testing, such as project managers, quality managers, software development managers, business analysts and management consultants.
About ISTQB and the ‘Certified Tester’ Scheme
Founded in 2002, ISTQB (International Software Testing Qualifications Board) is a not-for-profit association comprising 47 national boards (including the UKTB) covering 71 countries worldwide.
ISTQB has defined the Advanced certification as part of their ‘Certified Tester’ scheme that, with over 240,000 certifications, has become the de facto world-wide standard for software testing qualifications.
The ‘Certified Tester’ scheme:
- provides a set of professional qualifications widely-recognised by employers, customers and peers;
- enables software suppliers to hire and train certified testers and thereby gain commercial advantage over their competitors by advertising their tester recruitment and development policies; and
- enables comparison of testing skills across different countries, testers to move across country borders more easily, and multi-national/international projects to have a common understanding of testing issues.
The entry requirements for the Certified Tester Advanced Level Test Analyst qualification are that the candidate must hold the ISTQB Foundation certificate and it is also suggested that candidates h c ave a minimum of 3 years testing experience.
Note that it is recommended that you attend an accredited training course run by an accredited training provider, as the overall exam pass rates are notably higher for candidates attending such courses.
To qualify as an internationally-recognized Certified Advanced Level Test Analyst and be issued with an ISTQB® Advanced Level Certificate, delegates must successfully pass the exam administered by the relevant National Board or Examination Provider.
- 60 multiple choice pick ‘n’ mix questions which consist of the questions followed by a list of options
- Duration of 180 minutes (or 225 minutes for candidates taking examinations that are not in their native language)
- A candidate must score at least 65% to pass (78/120)
The objectives for the Certified Tester Advanced Level qualification are to:
- gain recognition for testing as an essential and professional software engineering specialization;
- provide a standard framework for the development of testers' careers;
- enable professionally qualified testers to be recognized by employers, customers and peers, and to raise the profile of testers and testing;
- promote consistent and good testing practices within all software engineering disciplines;
- identify testing topics that are relevant and of value to industry;
- enable software suppliers to hire certified testers and thereby gain commercial advantage over their competitors by advertising their tester recruitment policy;
- provide an opportunity for testers and those with an interest in testing to acquire an internationally recognized qualification in the subject.
Syllabus - Key points
- Testing Process
- Test Management
- Test Techniques
- Testing Software Quality Characteristics