Online ISTQB Foundation in Software Testing
About the Course
The ISTQB Foundation course covers the fundamentals of software testing, providing delegates with the necessary foundations for a career as a software testing professional.
This three-day intensive tutor-led course includes exam preparation, revision and the examination on the afternoon of the third day. It is fully-accredited by UKTB on behalf of ISTQB and has been rated SFIAplus level 3 by the BCS.
After successfully completing the course and passing the exam, delegates should be able to:
- Use a common language for efficient and effective communication with other testers and project stakeholders
- Understand established testing concepts, the fundamental test process, test approaches, and principles to support test objectives
- Design and prioritize tests by using established techniques
- Analyze both functional and non-functional specifications (such as performance and usability) at all test levels for systems with low to medium levels of complexity
- Execute tests according to agreed test plans, and analyze and report on the results of tests
- Write clear and understandable incident reports
- Effectively participate in reviews of small to medium-sized projects
- Be familiar with different types of testing tools and their uses; and assist in the tool selection and implementation process
Who is it for?
The ISTQB Certified Tester Foundation Level is principally aimed at anyone directly involved in software testing, who needs to demonstrate practical knowledge of the fundamental concepts, such as testers, test analysts, test engineers, test leads, test consultants, test managers, user acceptance testers and software developers.
It is also ideal for all those who have an interest in understanding the basic concepts of software testing, and so is additionally appropriate for project managers, quality managers, software development managers, business analysts, IT directors and management consultants.
About ISTQB and the ‘Certified Tester’ Scheme
Founded in 2002, ISTQB (International Software Testing Qualifications Board) is a not-for-profit association legally registered in Belgium, comprising 50+ national boards (including the UK Testing Board) covering 71 countries worldwide.
ISTQB has defined the Foundation certification as part of their ‘Certified Tester’ scheme that, with over 500,000 certifications, has become the de facto world-wide standard for software testing qualifications.
The ‘Certified Tester’ scheme:
- Provides a set of professional qualifications widely-recognised by employers, customers and peers
- Enables software suppliers to hire and train certified testers and thereby gain commercial advantage over their competitors by advertising their tester recruitment and development policies
- Enables comparison of testing skills across different countries, testers to move across country borders more easily, and multi-national/international projects to have a common understanding of testing issues
The entry requirements for the Certified Tester Foundation Level qualification are that the candidate should have a basic working knowledge of IT.
To qualify as an internationally-recognized Certified Foundation Level Tester and be issued with an ISTQB® Foundation Level Certificate, delegates must successfully pass the exam:
- The examination consists of a one-hour exam with 40 multiple choice questions.
- Duration of 60 minutes (or 75 minutes for candidates taking examinations that are not in their native language)
- The pass mark is 65% (26 out of 40).
The objectives for the Certified Tester Foundation Level qualification are to:
- prepare candidates for the Foundation Certificate in Software Testing based on the ISTQB syllabus
- improve understanding of software testing - its purpose and nature - and to raise awareness of issues and constraints around testing
- learn standard terminology
- introduce test techniques (static, white & black box) to delegates as well as providing practical experience of key techniques
- provide a complete picture of the test processes from requirements review to system implementation
- provide delegates with an environment that supports their learning and impart them with the necessary confidence and means to support their future career as a test professional
Syllabus - Key points
- Software Testing Fundamentals
- Testing throughout the software life cycle
- Static Techniques
- Test Design using black and white box techniques
- Test Management
- Tools support for testing
Holders of the Certified Tester Foundation Level qualification are eligible to continue on to higher level software testing qualifications, such as:
- BCS Intermediate Certificate in Software Testing, although this is not a pre-requisite for the Advanced courses
- ISTQB Advanced Level qualifications, which comprise Test Manager; Test Analyst; Technical Test Analyst; Test Automation Engineer and Secuirty Tester.