ISTQB Advanced Test Manager
About the Course
The ISTQB Advanced Test Manager course extends the broad understanding of testing acquired at Foundation Level to enable the role of Test Manager to be performed.
This five-day tutor-led course includes lectures, exercises and practical work, as well as exam preparation. The examination is held on the last day of the course in the afternoon, so allowing adequate time for revision. It is fully-accredited by UKTB on behalf of ISTQB and has been rated SFIAplus level 5 by the BCS.
After successfully completing the course and passing the exam, delegates should be able to:
- Manage a testing project by implementing the mission, goals and testing processes established for the testing
- Organize and lead risk identification and risk analysis sessions and use the results of such sessions for test
- estimation, planning, monitoring and control.
- Create and implement test plans consistent with organizational policies and test strategies.
- Continuously monitor and control the test activities to achieve project objectives.
- Assess and report relevant and timely test status to project stakeholders
- Identify skills and resource gaps in their test team and participate in sourcing adequate resources.
- Identify and plan necessary skills development within their test team.
- Propose a business case for test activities which outlines the costs and benefits expected.
- Ensure proper communication within the test team and with other project stakeholders.
- Participate in and lead test process improvement initiatives.
Who is it for?
The ISTQB Certified Test Manager Advanced Level is principally aimed at test practitioners who have achieved an advanced point in their careers in software testing and are expecting to be actively involved in the management of any aspect of software testing, and who want to increase their test management knowledge and skills beyond the levels covered by the Foundation and Intermediate qualifications. This includes people in roles such as testers, test analysts, test engineers, test consultants, test managers, user acceptance testers and software developers. This Advanced Level qualification is also appropriate for anyone who wants a deeper understanding of software testing, such as project managers, quality managers, software development managers, business analysts and management consultants.
About ISTQB and the ‘Certified Tester’ Scheme
Founded in 2002, ISTQB (International Software Testing Qualifications Board) is a not-for-profit association comprising 47 national boards (including the UKTB) covering 71 countries worldwide. ISTQB has defined the Advanced certification as part of their ‘Certified Tester’ scheme that, with over 240,000 certifications, has become the de facto world-wide standard for software testing qualifications. The ‘Certified Tester’ scheme:
- Provides a set of professional qualifications widely-recognised by employers, customers and peers;
- Enables software suppliers to hire and train certified testers and thereby gain commercial advantage over their competitors by advertising their tester recruitment and development policies; and
- Enables comparison of testing skills across different countries, testers to move across country borders more easily, and multi-national/international projects to have a common understanding of testing issues.
The entry requirements for the Certified Tester Advanced Level Test Manager qualification are that the candidate must hold the ISTQB Foundation certificate and it is also suggested that candidates have a minimum of 3 years testing experience.
Note that it is recommended that you attend an accredited training course run by an accredited training provider, as the overall exam pass rates are notably higher for candidates attending such courses.
The exam is taken on the last day of the course in the afternoon.
- 65 multiple choice pick ‘n’ mix questions which consist of the questions followed by a list of options
- Duration of 180 minutes (or 225 minutes for candidates taking examinations that are not in their native language)
- A Candidate must score at least 65% to pass (75/115)
The objectives for the Certified Tester Advanced Level qualification are to:
- Gain recognition for testing as an essential and professional software engineering specialization;
- Provide a standard framework for the development of testers' careers;
- Enable professionally qualified testers to be recognized by employers, customers and peers, and to raise the profile of testers and testing;
- Promote consistent and good testing practices within all software engineering disciplines;
- Identify testing topics that are relevant and of value to industry;
- Enable software suppliers to hire certified testers and thereby gain commercial advantage over their competitors by advertising their tester recruitment policy;
- Provide an opportunity for testers and those with an interest in testing to acquire an internationally recognized qualification in the subject.
Syllabus - Key points
- Testing Process
- Test Management
- Defect Management