ISTQB Advanced Technical Test Analyst Course
About the Course
The ISTQB Advanced Technical Test Analyst course extends the broad understanding of testing acquired at Foundation Level to enable the role of Technical Test Analyst to be performed.
This three-day tutor-led course includes lectures, exercises and practical work, as well as exam preparation. The examination is held at on the last day of the course in the afternoon. It is fully-accredited by UKTB on behalf of ISTQB and has been rated SFIAplus level 5 by the BCS.
After successfully completing the course and passing the exam, delegates should be able to:
- Recognize and classify the typical risks associated with the performance, security, reliability, portability and maintainability of software systems.
- Create test plans which detail the planning, design and execution of tests for mitigating performance, security, reliability, portability and maintainability risks.
- Select and apply appropriate structural design techniques to ensure that tests provide an adequate level of confidence, based on code coverage and design coverage.
- Effectively participate in technical reviews with developers and software architects applying knowledge of typical mistakes made in code and architecture.
- Recognize risks in code and software architecture and create test plan elements to mitigate those risks through dynamic analysis.
- Propose improvements to the security, maintainability and testability of code by applying static analysis.
- Outline the costs and benefits to be expected from introducing particular types of test automation.
- Select appropriate tools to automate technical testing tasks.
- Understand the technical issues and concepts in applying test automation.
Who is it for?
The ISTQB Certified Technical Test Analyst Advanced Level is principally aimed at test practitioners who have achieved an advanced point in their careers in software testing and are expecting to be actively involved in the technical aspects of software testing, including test automation, non-functional testing, white-box testing, and who want to increase their knowledge and skills beyond the levels covered by the Foundation and Intermediate qualifications. This includes people in roles such as testers, test analysts, test engineers, test consultants, test managers, user acceptance testers and software developers. This Advanced Level qualification is also appropriate for anyone who wants a deeper understanding of software testing, such as project managers, quality managers, software development managers, business analysts and management consultants.
About ISTQB and the ‘Certified Tester’ Scheme
Founded in 2002, ISTQB (International Software Testing Qualifications Board) is a not-for-profit association comprising 47 national boards (including the UKTB) covering 71 countries worldwide. ISTQB has defined the Advanced certification as part of their ‘Certified Tester’ scheme that, with over 240,000 certifications, has become the de facto world-wide standard for software testing qualifications. The ‘Certified Tester’ scheme:
- provides a set of professional qualifications widely-recognised by employers, customers and peers;
- enables software suppliers to hire and train certified testers and thereby gain commercial advantage over their competitors by advertising their tester recruitment and development policies; and
- enables comparison of testing skills across different countries, testers to move across country borders more easily, and multi-national/international projects to have a common understanding of testing issues.
The entry requirements for the Certified Tester Advanced Level Technical Test Analyst qualification are that the candidate must hold the ISTQB Foundation certificate and it is also suggested that candidates have a minimum of 3 years testing experience.
Note that it is recommended that you attend an accredited training course run by an accredited training provider, as the overall exam pass rates are notably higher for candidates attending such courses.
To qualify as an internationally-recognized Certified Advanced Level Technical Test Analyst and be issued with an ISTQB® Advanced Level Certificate, delegates must successfully pass the exam administered by the relevant National Board or Examination Provider. The examination is held on the last day of the course in the afternoon.
- 60 multiple choice pick ‘n’ mix questions which consist of the questions followed by a list of options
- Duration of 120 minutes (or 165 minutes for candidates taking examinations that are not in their native language)
- A candidate must score at least 45% to pass
The objectives for the Certified Tester Advanced Level qualification are to:
- gain recognition for testing as an essential and professional software engineering specialization;
- provide a standard framework for the development of testers' careers;
- enable professionally qualified testers to be recognized by employers, customers and peers, and to raise the profile of testers and testing;
- promote consistent and good testing practices within all software engineering disciplines;
- identify testing topics that are relevant and of value to industry;
- enable software suppliers to hire certified testers and thereby gain commercial advantage over their competitors by advertising their tester recruitment policy;
- provide an opportunity for testers and those with an interest in testing to acquire an internationally recognized qualification in the subject.
Syllabus - Key points
- The Technical Test Analyst’s Tasks in Risk-Based Testing
- Structure-Based Testing
- Analytical Techniques