BCS Data Analysis
2 Days includes Exam
About the course
Entity relationship modelling, analysis class modelling and normalisation of data. They’re the three key approaches to analysing and modelling data, and they’re all covered on our course on Data Analysis.
You’ll also learn about approaches that reflect the business users’ needs and priorities, and gain an overview of the more mechanistic approach offered by normalisation. And finally we’ll explore the techniques used to validate data against stated requirements.
Who is it for?
The course is aimed at practising business analysts who wish to apply data analysis to their day to day work
There are no pre requisites.
During this two day course you’ll receive all the training you need to prepare for the BCS Professional Certificate in Data Analysis exam, which is held on the final afternoon of the course. A pass in this module will contribute to the BCS International Advanced Diploma in Business Analysis. The course is also consistent with SFIA skills DTAN levels 2 and 3.
Data analysis for business analysts
- The importance of data to the organisation
- Data, information and business intelligence
- Applying data analysis to understand the organisation
- Using data analysis in business analysis
Principles of data analysis
- Rationale for analysing and modelling data
- Techniques used in data analysis
- Entity relationship diagrams
- Analysis class modelling
- Normalisation of data
Entity Relationship Diagrams
- Relationships – cardinality and optionality
- Entity and relationship descriptions
- Attributes and domains
Analysis class modelling
- Objects and classes
- Structure of a class: name, attributes, operations
- Associations and multiplicity
- Naming associations
Normalisation of data
- Third normal form analysis rules
- Primary and candidate keys
- Drawing third normal form models
Validating the data model
- Cross-reference matrices, CRUD matrix
- Data navigation path